Monday 20 June 2011

Scrap Factor Week 9: Texture

I quite often talk about giving my layouts texture but this week's scrap factor challenge got me thinking. Do I know what the word 'texture' really means. A quick look in the dictionary helped me:

tex·ture   
noun
1. the visual and especially tactile quality of a surface: rough texture.
2. the characteristic structure of the interwoven or intertwined threads, strands, or the like, that make up a textile fabric: coarse texture.
3. the characteristic physical structure given to a material, an object, etc., by the size, shape, arrangement, and proportions of its parts: soil of a sandy texture; a cake with a heavy texture.
So basically I have the right idea. When it comes to adding texture to my layouts I start at the very bottom with my choice of background paper. In this case I used a pizza box because you can peel the top layer off to reveal the wonderfully textured corrugated card underneath. I left the paper I'd peeled off a little to add extra texture. Then I used some glimmer mist to add a layer on top of the pizza box (to look a bit like a nightsky to match the 'Rocket Age' papers I'd used). (Btw- The misting was too heavy so I peeled a very thin layer off the pizza box to remove some of the mist). For me texture is all about different fabrics, different depths and different materials. I decided to use a lot of different papers, but all from the same range, some different fabrics (denim and burlap) and some different materials (buttons, chipboard, transparency, ribbons and staples). I also used foam squares to layer all the components up and give them depth and texture. Finally I used three different alphas with different textures. I hope that the photos show the texture to the LO :)

Supplies:
Pizza box lid
October Afternoon 'Rocket Age- All systems go'
October Afternoon 'Rocket Age- Docking maneuver'
October Afternoon 'Rocket Age- Black hole'
October Afternoon 'Rocket Age- Captain's Log'
October Afternoon 'Rocket Age- Sticker shapes'
American Crafts Thickers 'Honey' & 'Sprinkles'
Glitz 'Peekaboo- Scarlett'
Buttons from stash
Brown ink
Denim fabric
Burlap
Coloured staples
Ticket
Sewing machine
Embroidery thread

No comments: